Follow on Strava

Tuesday 4 November 2014

Day 4 - Revelstoke to Kamploops – 160ish Km with the balance (56km’s) on my thumb

This morning Jeff pulled out his Mac and we googled my route.  We considered options. I need to do 200+ km per day to make it to Victoria for Thursday. The past 2 days were about 160km’s … and I was sufficiently spent. I’m a day short!

Ski Mo Friends Jeff & Julie
Jeff, Julie and Mateo gave me a great big bowl of oatmeal, and I was off in the rain prior to 8am.  

Beautiful ride leaving Revelstoke as the mountains were covered in cloud, with the odd patch of blue sky.
My first Tim Hortons stop of the day was in Sicamous just after the rain subsided. I was hungry!
I biked another 35km before my 2nd Tim’s stop in Salmon Arm.

Leaving Salmon Arm – the sun was awesome as I looked all around me – mountains everywhere and The Shuswap Lake.  Then as I approached Chase the wind and rain became very strong.  I pulled over and added a layer of clothing … but it no time the rain stopped and the wind lessened even though the sky was covered in cloud and darkness was approaching QUICKLY.

I arrived in Chase about 5pm.


I contemplated pushing through the remaining 56km to Kamploops in the dark. However, since I am much wiser than biking in the dark … I pulled over under a street light.
I managed to just get off my bike and get positioned, when a newish black truck approached. I stuck out my thumb.
Jeremy King had just bought the truck and was heading to Kamploops. He grew up in Corner Brook (he called the area Jelly Belly) with Richard Basha, my friend, who owns Garrison Pub 6 blocks from my house! He works at an Iron Ore Mine in the Artic, and is building a recreation home on the Lake near Chase. Works 4 on/ 2 off. We had a great chat about real estate, and the booming Fort St. John, Dawson and Kitimat.

Jeremy left me at the cheap Skyline hotel on the Trans Canada in Kamploops. Awful place – but the shower is awesome and with the heat on all the way – it is warming up.
A nice Skype conversation with sister Pauline. Korean Restaurant near by, with the best spicy seafood soup (Jambo) I ever had!


Thus far traveling alone is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment