Follow on Strava

Friday 7 November 2014

Day 6 – Thursday, Nov 6, 2014 - Head Wind & 3 Flats – Chilliwack to Victoria – 125km

I woke at 2:30am and lied in bed until about 3:30. I do that infrequently, then just get up and get to work on whatever is keeping me up.

I’m feeling anxious.  I have driven in car from this area to Vancouver. Roads are straight and cars move fast. 

While I have a browsed casually for a bike route, I haven’t found one that feels right.
I spent the time searching maps, blogs, and apps. I was hopeful with an ap called “Ride With GPS”, but in the end – it didn’t work.

I guess I’ll just use google maps – bike route. ‘It’s probably fine’, I thought.

I retraced my 1.5km route to the “utopian/communal” Yellow Deli where I had the free Mate the night prior.  I last had my now lost glove at this place. It sits directly besides Starbucks and about 4 doors from Tim Hortons. 

I really wanted to just pop in and see if they found my glove.  I really wanted to go to Starbucks where I know I can rely on a pleasant atmosphere, good service, and good coffee & while not inexpensive, fair prices.

However, I thought I should not be so shallow, and support this alternative type business. Starbucks are pretty much the same EVERYWHERE. I’m travelling. Exploring. Seeking new experiences. ‘Be open Bryon’, I told myself.

The exterior is fun, vibrant and exciting. As I entered Yellow Deli – the light was dim and the music was kind of an Irish Celtic sort. Just like last night.  (I’m not sure when I am in the mood for this kind of music.?)

I said I would like some eggs.

The waiter confidently said “Sure, eggs it is.”

I was impressed, and was looking forward to my surprise.

I got two poached eggs and HALF a slice of Bread. I had to ask for coffee twice and waited way too long for the bill.  The bill finally came at $5.50.  I tracked him down after a few minutes and he realized he forgot to add the coffee.  $8.50.
I stupidly tipped him $2.  (Why do we “Still” tip for crappy service? I got to stop doing that. I like to reward for good service only.)

The problem with Yellow Deli, run by http://twelvetribes.com/, is communism sucks.  The idea is that there is no rich and no poor.  However, I feel that everyone resolves to the lowest common dominator.  There is no incentive to ‘raise above’.

Seriously, the young men and women who I met (approximately aged 25 to 42) had glimmers of enthusiasm … but in the end, collectively – I think they are all a bit retarded!

The Ride:

I finally got rolling just prior to 9am in a downpour of rain. I  was very excited to be leaving Yellow Deli. I was annoyed. (They even change their names, to a Hebrew name.)

The air was warm and the smell of the earth (along w manure) clearly indicated I was in a land of production. It felt GREAT to be rolling on my bike in this amazing landscape – affectionately know as The Lower Mainland. After about 30 min the sun came out and I was in heaven despite an already strong head wind.

I varied to being excited at how awesome Google Maps was … to thinking I will die on this road; to this road is a complete dead end into a gravel pit. Beautiful though.

I was a bit in the doldrums after only 40 ‘ish km at about 11:15am. Why am I so slow? I was scheming … I wonder is there a bus, what about a taxi?  I saw a Starbucks in Langley & thought perhaps some nice service and a bit of food will cheer me up.

It did.

I finally saw the sign. 13km to Ferry.
The head wind was fierce.  My front tire seemed like it was getting low in air.
I arrived 15min prior to the 3pm departure. As I pushed my bike on … my front tire was dead flat. I have lots of time to fix it.
Settling in the ‘Sea Fare’s Lounge’ (an extra $12 – gets you free snacks, drinks, more space and less noise!) I was exhausted. 

Departing the Ferry I was completely stoked for a windy ride into Victoria … only about 30km along a very pretty “mostly bike paths” route.

8km into this ride, and two rear flats, I was in Sidney.  While trying to fix the final flat for 4th or 5th time, I spoke to a guy in a truck.  He told me there were power outrageous, and that I should bus into Victoria. “You don’t want to be on that dark trail with this crazy wind.”  Thankfully the bus stop was two blocks away.


Supper with Robin! YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment