Follow on Strava

Friday 21 November 2014

Day 20 & 21 - I had my 21st wedding anniversary & got ready for Christmas (& for my birthday party) - Luang Prabang, Laos

I 'kind off' enjoyed Day 2 of the slow boat from Peng Bak to Luang Prabang. Again, I wondered in at the last minute ... and seating was unassigned.  I got the best fucking seat on the boat!!!!
Weird how things work in Asia.

At each small stop along the river bank, I was able to assist in loading and unloading ... things like beer, cola, rice.  I got to move ... and help!   I loved that.

I got just a bit sad when I arrived at my Guesthouse in Luang Prabang. You see ... I decided to bike from the boat landing to 'downtown' in my running shoes. When I arrived ... and began to unpack ... I realized I was missing one of my bike shoes. :-(
They were strapped to the top of my panniers.

1st world problem.  (I re-traced my route with no luck. I bought 'flat' peddalls at a shop. I'll use two different shoes now.
I'm grateful to be here!  :-)
//

I got happy speaking to Shirley over "Facetime".
We are both getting used to the technology. But Hell ... the technology makes it easy to be connected.

This town is amazing ... for SE Asia.  (I say that thinking about Shirley. If I excitedly take her back here some day ... she will wonder why!)
It's just different ... and pretty cheap.  However, cheap is not my priority. (Then why am I staying at a $11 Guesthouse that sucks!!?  Well, the thing that sucks the most is the Wi-fi is broken. Then the bed is terrible.)
(We still have lots of places to see in the 1st world.)

The food is killer, pedestrian friendly, lots to do and see.  (A whack of tourist here ... sort of like downtown Banff I guess. Except AWESOME food Everywhere.)
All the tourist do sort of bug me.
/
I much prefer ... moving ... rolling ... on my bike.
//

I did all my Christmas Shopping for my East Coast Family. (I haven't done that in years ... so ya all can look forward to crappy tourist shit from SE Asia.  Really. I tried my best.  I thought I was buying silk skarfs. (They turned out to be silk and cotton.)  I got some silver stuff that looks nice to me. Hope it doesn't give rashes.  To the men - enjoy the funny t-shirts.
I paid $160 to send it to you ... which is probably twice as much as it cost.
It should be there in two weeks.  Ha!!!! (... fingers crossed it arrives.)
Assuming it doesn't ... I'll post some pics ... to show proof.
It's the fucking thought that counts.
/
I probably should not write after 7pm ... because after 7pm I'm allowed to have beer!

//
Oh yeah ... and I got ready for my Birthday Party tomorrow. I got a massage ... and found a 'flat' peddle for my bike ... so I can Roll.
(I'm not going to worry to much about Wi-Fi in the next 5 or so days ... so if you don't hear from me ... I immersed in the culture of Laos between Luan Prabang and Huaxai. Yeah right!!!  To 'get into' culture - you got to learn the language.
I can say Hello almost easy.  Thank you is coming along.

Pics to follow!xxxx (maybe)





2 comments:

  1. Enjoy gpt birthday out there! Thanks for keeping us updated w blog!

    ReplyDelete