Follow on Strava

Monday 17 November 2014

Day 17 – You don’t know what you don’t know


Day 17 – You don’t know what you don’t know

Today may have been one of my longest days of riding. My device’s battery died but pretty sure I was north of 160km. I love these longer days. 

Why? I like movement.
I force myself to slow down … to learn … and experience other things.

Thus far … I am resisting trying to assimilate into Thai culture.
It’s really embarrassing.
I can say “Thank you”. (Khun Kon Crap … I remember ‘cause crap = shit)
I don’t know how to say Hello.

Really … that’s all the Thai I know.
I’ve actually been working at it.
I bought a dictionary. (Mostly to show people “Guest House” in Thai writing.)

I have repeatedly asked people how to say Thank you. I haven’t remembered to ask how to say “Hello” yet.

Those who say learning a language is easy – not true! (You don’t even know what you don’t know.)
… Wait – that’s a limiting belief.
It’s even worst who say, “Everybody can learn to sing.”
Bullshit.

If I wasn’t writing this blog for myself only - I would not admit this.

I love riding my bike. Wish I could ride longer – every day. But there is this urge … to do more stuff.

Ultimately, I think that stuff that keeps me off my bike will give me a fuller richer life.

What stuff am I talking about:
-       I hate being lost. My navigation sucks. I want to understand how to ‘really’ use Garmin devices. Maps.
-       I’ve been using bike computers since at least 2001. Mastery.  Why have I not mastered the use of these tools?
-       Family. I want to connect.
-       While riding – I often listen to podcasts … and get idea’s. I need to get of the bike to explore these idea’s. Dig in. Action.
-       I’m want MASTERY. 
-       Eating
-       Drinking beer. (I have a rule – no beer prior to 7pm.)

So – I entitled this blog – You don’t know what you don’t know.
Why?
Just now … had a great facetime conversation with sister Clara Jean.  She is crazy amazing at giving insights in so many things. 

As I plan to go to Laos tomorrow … she began to tell me many things of these people and their culture.  (She hasn’t even been there … but began telling me about the places I was going. How the fuck can she even know the names of these places? Seriously – to this brain – I have no idea.)

She encouraged me to slow down; watch these people; observe how they interact with their kids. See what they are cultivating in the fields.

I shared with her my experience of dogs in Thailand. They are so relaxed. The cats are different as well.  Why? Their owners are different. A different sense-ability.

The Thai Smile you heard about.  It’s still true.


#Gratitude





2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Bryon!!! You're demonstrating great versatility!!!
    By the way, the easiest way to learn a language is to fully immerse in the culture! Talk to people more and LISTEN; record what the say and listen again while riding...
    Keep on going! Happy travels!!!!

    ReplyDelete