Follow on Strava

Sunday 16 November 2014

Day 16 – Writing for One

   
Flats - once started, they hate to stop.
Finally at 1 pm yesterday I said f**k it, and gave up trying to figure out how to install maps onto my new Garmin Edge 1000. I left Chaing Mai with a terrible tourist map. I went real slow ... and figured out how to get out of town.

25 min into the ride I got my first flat. 1hour 45 minutes later – I got my 2nd. That is the problem with flats. Once they start – they hate to stop.  This was the 3rd flat I’ve had on my front wheel. It all stemmed back from my Iphone Google Maps taking me into a thorn field near Vancouver where I got a particular strong thorn stuck in my tire. (I pulled it on on Flat #1 … but a wee bit stayed embedded in the tire.) I looked VERY close yesterday & placed a patch over the tiny bastard.

60km into my ride and darkness falling – I saw a sign; Guesthouse.
I meandered in … shouted a bit to try to find someone.
The lady told me it was 2000 bhat. (About $70 dollars).

Lets go see it. (It must be nice, I’ll happily pay it and enjoy ‘swank’ accommodation for the night. I’ve heard accommodation is very cheap.)

A hut beautifully set on a cliff. Great location. However, it was a bit leaky and didn’t even have a sheet. The ‘bathroom’ was awful.
It’s now dark.
I began to negotiate with her. (Big language barrior.)

I took out $1500 bhat.
This is when she laughed.
“No, it’s 200 bhat. Sorry ... mixing up my hundreds with thousands".
 $7.14

Today was big day of riding through the hills. The incline was so steep in places – I actually had to walk about 5 times. I climbed about 5000 feet in 110 km. I don't think I EVER walked my bike up a hill before. Humbled.

The roads were spectacular – good and very safe.  There has ALWAYS been a shoulder for bikers and mopads on EVERY road I have traveled to date.


While riding I listened to a podcast from a couple of bloggers. Like them, I am writing for myself. Seeking understanding / wisdom. Tim Ferris and Marina Popova spoke of how they write authentically for themselves. I liked the message. Have a listen here if you wish.

$7.14 seemed like good value for my room. Thailand Guest House / Accomodations. North of Chaing Mai.

7 comments:

  1. nice riding : ) getting off and walk feels good doesn't -nice to change the activity cycling walking cycling walking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking wasn't too bad Shirley. I thought of you. :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Having an interesting time Robin. Just finished a guided mediation via pod cast. I of course didn't really have a quiet mind ... and among many of my thoughts - you were part of them. I think you would enjoy this guided mediation. Give it a try some morning.
      http://www.dharmaseed.org/talks/audio_player/175/9943.html

      Delete
  3. Have you thought of getting a real estate license there yet?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did a native village out of Chang Mai and also the golden triangle where Thailand, Burma and Laos meet. The blue cast on the scenery looking across the Meekong was memorable to me, also we did a river tour on a long tail boat which took us to Laos.
    keep those flats pumped up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow George. So great to think of you and Velma doing this trip a few (many) years ago - I'm sure it was a different time. Prior to cell phones.
    One of the things I am most AMAZED at on this trip is how EVERYWHERE people are on their cell phones. Everywhere.

    I'll take the boat tomorrow ... which I'm pretty sure will be similar to the one you did.
    Starting in Huaxai ... to Lumpang ... or something like that!
    ... I'm thrilled you actually read this and posted. I've been experimenting at using the "F" word in writing and talking.
    It really is a great swear word.
    Since I'm writing for one ... I'll continue to write as if you aren't reading. :)

    Nothing better than hearing from a guy of your age who has lived 'a life worth living'.
    Fond memories.
    Love you George!
    Hug & Kiss to Velma.

    ReplyDelete