Follow on Strava

Tuesday 26 July 2016

I Won! - a race report - Calgary IM 70.3

It's Tuesday - but I'm still hoping the weekend won't end.
Pre-Race Meal at my house w Liz Lyles, Jarod Shoemaker & my wife Shirley. So fun.
A few weeks ago - somehow through facebook, I learned that the organizers of Calgary 70.3 were looking for host homes for the professional athletes.
I immediately said "Yes" ... and asked for two.

Talented Mom Liz Lyles and Past World Champion and Olympian Jarod Shoemaker were our pro athletes for the weekend!

I'm shocked at what these athletes eat. They simply are flexible. Jared arrived first on Friday. We had food in the house ... but he told us he would stop prior to arriving at home to get some snacks for the weekend. I was curious what 'snacks' were.
I was delighted to arrive home.
He had fucking chips in the house!
... I LOVE chips.
 Liz assured us ... all she needed was coffee in the morning.

Well this is my fucking race report - so screw off Liz and Jarred.
Swim:
I was fucking fast. (In my standards).
Actually - the guy in front of me was fast.
I followed fast feet.
At one point, some crazy prick ... actually stopped swimming and pushed me TOWARDS the finish line. He was pissed at me as we rounded a buoy and were slapping each other. Shit happens.

Bike:
It was unmemorable - other than seeing Jason Pohl pass me ... and me thinking I was happy to beat him on the swim. I thought I could hold him ... and was disappointed I could not. (25 year old punk.)

Run:
I ran.
Jarod Shoemaker was 5th and Liz Lyles was 4th at Calgary 70.3 Ironman, July 2016
At the finish line, I ran into Jarred who is somehow a mysterious silent partner at Speed Theory and probably also the owner of this race.
He said, "It was funny ... you looked like shit going out ... and coming in ... but you were moving."
That is pretty much how I felt.  Yes ... I could move in a forward direction ... but I had no spirit - and simply no spring.

Results: I WON!
I'm 49 years old ... and I'll be 50 in November.
For all those years in elementary school and junior high school - when I was the last picked for every fucking sport ... Fuck You!

My birthday is in November.
I'll be 50 in November.
This week, I raced in 50-54. I'm 49 - but in this fucking devision.
I beat all those fucking bastards.
Dan on the left & Winner of the day -  Josh Amberger in 3hours 40min - a freaking course record! - me on the right. Dan will be joining Josh at World Championships in Aussie in 5 weeks. Josh didn't seem worried about the competition.  








No comments:

Post a Comment